Magnet Bomber (マグネットボンバー, magunettobonbā) is a recurring villain in the Bomberman series.
Magnet Bomber first appears in Super Bomberman 2 as one of the Five Dastardly Bombers, cyborgs created by aliens for the purpose of capturing the original Bomberman. After invading Earth and kidnapping Bomberman, they head back into space. Magnet Bomber is the first Dastardly Bomber that Bomberman encounters during his escape.
Magnet Bomber is the boss of stage 1-7 of the Old Castle Stage. He constantly pursues Bomberman, dropping bombs and avoiding explosions. Like other enemy characters in the game, he takes direct damage from thrown bombs, and kicked bombs stop when hitting him. His stats are as follows:
- HP: 3
- Bombs: 3
- Firepower: 5
- Speed: Fast
- Weapon: Magnet Bomb. When Bomberman lines up with this bomb, it enters a kicked state, moving in a straight line in his direction until it hits an obstacle or explodes. Each Magnet Bomb can only move once after being placed on the field.
- Difficulty: A
In stage 1-8, Magnet Bomber pilots the boss Iron Gigue. When he is defeated, his section of the ship explodes.
In Super Bomberman 3, Professor Buggler retrieves Magnet Bomber and his allies from the scraps of their ship on Earth and revives them aboard his spaceship. Magnet Bomber is sent to steal and scatter the pieces of the Mother Computer Chip on Morimori Star. When White and Black Bomber restore the chip, he challenges them while piloting the mech Bakeron. Upon his defeat, he escapes.
Back on Buggler's ship, Magnet Bomber fuses with the rest of the Five Dastardly Bombers to form Gattaider. However, they are defeated, breaking the transformation. He and his comrades are left behind in the exploding ship.
Magnet Bomber makes a non-canon cameo appearance as an Obstacle Bomber (じゃまボン, jamabon) in some stages. He strafes left and right. If he is hit by the B-Dama, it will explode, turning him black with soot. The player must avoid hitting him in order to properly clear the stage. In some stages, multiple copies of him appear.
The Five Dastardly Bombers return in Bomberman Tournament, attacking the planet Phantarion. It is revealed that they had attacked Phantarion at some point in the distant past, but were barely thwarted by a warrior who lived there. Upon their return, they attempted a revised variation of their previous attack, which worked. Dr. Ein sent MAX to answer the resulting distress call from the planet, but he disappeared.
Around a week later, Bomberman arrived on Phantarion, looking for MAX. He encountered Magnet Bomber at Magnet Base. Magnet Bomber lied about MAX's fate, claiming that he "took care of him", when it was in fact Plasma Bomber who captured MAX. He fused with Pommy Fangs to form Magnet Dragon, but was defeated. After escaping, he informed Pretty Bomber about the threat of Bomberman.
Magnet Bomber is a robotic life-form who had been discarded and left for dead on Planet Scrapheap sometime in the past. Buggler arrives at the onset of the game's story, reviving him and the other Dastardly Bombers with his dark powers. Brainwashing them, he sends them to conquer the five planets of the Starry Sky Solar System. Magnet Bomber conquers Planet Technopolis as a base for the Buggler army, placing mazes, enemy robots, and traps for any intruders to face.
Red blasts his way through the mazes, surprising Magnet Bomber by creating his own exit, then further angers the villain by calling him "little". When White remarks that he is "just a kid", Magnet Bomber is pushed over the edge. He battles the Bomberman Brothers in stage 1-9. He has at least two bombs and three firepower, and only takes one hit to defeat.
In stage 1-10, he engages the siblings while piloting Iron Gauss.
Magnet Bomber refuses to back down, even after his defeat, and Red remains willing to fight. However, when Magnet Bomber punches an intervening Aqua, Red becomes frightened of her potential rage, asking Magnet Bomber to apologize. She punches both of them high into the air.
At the Black Hole, an unconscious Magnet Bomber is summoned by Buggler, who fuses him with the other Dastardly Bombers into Great Gattaida. Once the mech has been destroyed, Magnet Bomber regains his memories, undoing the brainwashing. He reluctantly agrees to help the Bomberman Brothers defeat Buggler.
During the credits, he is seen getting worked up while playing a video game with Red.
Magnet Bomber's special ability is the Magnet Bomb (マグネットボム, magunetto bomu). This alternate bomb type instantly attracts to any player or enemy character who lines up with it, regardless of distance, so long as there are no obstacles in the way. It cannot attract up or down ramps. It also does not attract to Magnet Bomber himself, other copies of Magnet Bomber, or large bosses. Originally, this bomb was not affected by Skull conditions, but as of update 2.2 on September 19, 2018, it is.
A Magnet Bomb placed on the left side of the field is attracted toward White on the right side.
|Grand Prix Abilities|
Magnet Bomber is unlocked in the shop when World 6 has been cleared on any difficulty setting.
Various merchandise of Magnet Bomber was produced during the 1990's:
- Two keshi, one for Super Bomberman 2 and one for Super Bomberman 3. A character card of Magnet Bomber was also randomly packaged with Super Bomberman 2 figures.
- Bomberman DX Choco plastic figure.
- Bomberman B-Daman targets, in both figurine and flat stand-up forms.
- Super Bomberman 2 B-Daman figure.
- Super Bomberman 3 Coela Bomber Mail.
- Super Bomberman 2 取扱説明書, SHVC-M4, Hudson Soft, 1994, pp. 4-5, 11.
- Super Bomberman 2 Hudson Official Guidebook. Shogakukan, 1994, pp. 4-12, 31.
- Super Bomberman 3 取扱説明書, SHVC-AS6J-JPN, 1995, pp. 4-5, 16.
- Bomberman B-Daman All Encyclopedia. Shogakukan, 1996, pp. 57, 110.
- "Looking for Max, are you? Hahaha! I, Magnet Bomber, have already taken care of him!" - Magnet Bomber in Bomberman Tournament.
- "I heard about you from MagnetBomber. [sic]" - Pretty Bomber in Bomberman Tournament.
- スーパーボンバーマン R 公式サイト, Konami Digital Entertainment, 15/11/2017. Accessed 6/10/2018.
- Super Bomberman R Official Website, Konami Digital Entertainment, 9/18/2018. Accessed 9/18/2018.
[Category:Super Bomberman 2]]